Views 5223 Conservation Jobs
The Laikipia Nature Conservancy & Gallmann Memorial Foundation are seeking a Security Manager. The position will be field based at the Laikipia Nature Conservancy in West Laikipia.
The Security Managers role will be to manage security and wildlife activities on the Conservancy using current rangers as well as expanding the current security force. The Security Manager will report to and be supervised and supported by the Executive Director of the Laikipia Nature Conservancy.
This person will be dynamic, have a background in security and conservation, good communication skills, management and team building experience, good mechanical & technical understanding & be self reliant.
ANTI-POACHING & SECURITY: The Security Manager will work closely with the GM to oversee the operations and effective running of the whole security and anti-poaching operations including, creating a clear and effective strategy:
- Recruitment and training of new personnel / rangers
- Acquisition and issuance of equipment
- Tight control and supervision of patrol teams and movements and reporting
- Initiate proper reporting and recording systems
- Initiate efficient control room / ops room
- Maintenance of firearms and training in Firearms use
- Supervise follow up of arrests made and court cases pending
- Efficient collection of intelligence and information and correct procedures to follow up and lead to action
- Liaise and collaborate with KWS and Police
- Ensure safety and security of all buildings, vehicles, offices, staff, guests on LNC
- Supervise training and on-going effectiveness of a Rapid Response Force
- Monitor security of Fence and boundaries
- Clearing of Firebreaks and execution of a Fire Management Plan
Supervision of the following personnel:
- Radio Operators
- Gate Keepers
- Night watchmen
WILDLIFE: The last 5 years have seen an unprecedented rise in poaching, especially of elephant. However in 2014, infestation of the conservancy by thousands of cattle and dozens of herders has resulted in a dramatic decline in also the smaller animals. This trend must be reversed.
- Undertake Animal Counts, oversee the monitoring of key animal species
- Liaise with researchers and other organisations where necessary to monitor animal movements and behavior
- Create strategic partnerships for the same (ie. Save the Elephants, Lion Guardians etc)
- Once security operations (above) have been cemented and targets met, to oversee the re-introduction of certain key species.
• A minimum of 5 years of professional experience with strong conservation, and security experience operating in remote settings.
• Experience in community liason and negotiations
• Experience in managing and training security teams
• Knowledge of KWS and Police operating procedures
• Excellent writing and admin management skills
• Excellent written and verbal skills in English
• Spoken Kiswahili Essential
• Valid Driver’s license.
• Computer literate (MS Office)
The Security Manager will be provided with:
- A 4x4 company Vehicle
- A company Telephone, computer (if require) and internet
- Housing with space for visiting friends or relatives
- Flying doctors cover
- One dedicated house staff member and support of gardeners and watchmen for house
- Pets are welcome as long as they do not interfere with wildlife or birds
A competitive salary will be offered.
Interested candidates, please send a copy of your CV and a cover letter explaining how you match these requirements by email to:
“LNCjobapplications@gmail.com” with the Subject: “Security Manager”