Views 765 Conservation Jobs Application Deadline: Monday, 16 January 2017
SANCCOB is a leader in seabird rehabilitation, research and oiled wildlife response and achieves this internationally recognised work through applying high veterinary standards and compassionate care. With 48 years of experience in the field, and a track record of successfully admitting more than 95,000 seabirds, the aim of the organization is to conserve seabirds, especially the endangered African penguin. The organisation seeks to employ a Clinical Veterinarian reporting to the Executive Director.
- Clinical care of seabirds admitted to SANCCOB.
- Includes diagnosis, treatment, surgery, collection and processing of blood samples,
euthanasia, post mortem evaluation, etc.
- Ensuring that SAVC regulations and requirements are met in terms of facilities and animal care.
- Assist in ensuring that SANCCOB’s Standard Operating Procedures are up to date, implemented and meet the needs of the birds and the facilities. This includes supervision of all aspects of specialist seabird rehabilitation.
- Support, assist and provide expert advice to the Rehabilitation Managers in their responsibilities to manage the facilities to ensure efficient and high-quality running of all aspects of the facilities and bird care.
- Support and become involved in research projects carried out at SANCCOB.
- Together with the Oiled Wildlife Response team, take on a leadership role during a spill or large bird intake.
This position will be best suited to a veterinarian interested in avian medicine and conservation. The successful candidate should be a team player who is physically fit, hard-working and is prepared to work in all weather conditions, frequently in excess of standard working hours; positive, dedicated, self-motivated and with a passion for seabirds and conservation, with a personable, caring and compassionate nature. The successful person should have excellent English communication skills (verbal and written). Experience in scientific writing will be an advantage.
Minimum requirements for position:
· A South African Veterinary Council registered veterinarian.
· Demonstrable experience/interest in avian medicine would be advantageous.
· A valid driver’s licence.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of programmes.
Foreign applicants please note:
Please refer to the South African Veterinary Council’s website ( http://www.savc.org.za/) for information on qualifications that qualify for automatic registration, and details on persons who will be required to pass a Council registration examination prior to registration with the SAVC.
Please forward a detailed CV and a letter of motivation to SANCCOB’s Executive Director.
E-mail: email@example.com . Closing date for application is 16 January 2017.
Management will not accept telephonic applications and will only correspond with applicants selected for interviews. SANCCOB reserves the right not to make an appointment.