Views 596 Conservation Jobs Application Deadline: Sunday, 31 December 2017
The Wildlife Conservation Society saves wildlife and wild lands through careful science, international conservation, education, and the management of the world’s largest system of urban wildlife parks. These activities change attitudes toward nature and help people imagine wildlife and humans living in sustainable interaction on both a local and a global scale. WCS is committed to this work because we believe it essential to the integrity of life on Earth.
Summary of Position Function:
The Finance Director reports to the WCS Cameroon Country Director, with a dotted-line report to the Comptroller in New York and works closely with the WCS Sudano-Sahel Region Business Manager. The Finance Director is based in Yaounde, Cameroon and undertakes regular work travel to various WCS project sites in the country. This position is responsible for management of the financial systems, reporting to New York office and donors, country budgetary reporting and controls, monitoring and compliance of internal controls, conduct/coordinate operation reviews of project sites, cash management. Managing a growing team currently made up of five staff.
Responsibilities will include :
- Financial management and accounting for the WCS Cameroon Program (tracking and projecting spending by projects and funding agencies, accounting, internal project audits).
- Staff administration- establishing staff contracts, worker’s compensation and medical benefits, vacation and work schedules in adherence with country program guidelines and following the national labor laws.
- Ensure that all projects/activities in the country program are respecting national legislation regarding customs regulations, labor rights, taxes, benefits, etc.
- Ensure all project financial activities are in compliance with donor requirements.
- Work with project managers/directors to generate financial reports and donor reports.
- Work with project managers/directors and the WCS-NY office to produce budget proposals for potential donors.
- Assure timely accounting and reporting on all country project expenditures
- Monitor overall budget management with regular updates on expenditures and availability of funds to NY and the project managers/directors and administrators.
- Oversee coordination of logistics at the country office and between the country office and the projects.
- Monitor bank transfers, banking activities, advances and expenditures in coordination with WCS-NY.
- Assist in recruiting, training, and managing of administrative staff for the country office.
- Review project budget proposals for the annual budget proposal submission to WCS-NY.
- Financial management of project infrastructure, i.e. leases/rent, insurance policies, registration (vehicles, housing, office, boats, etc)
- Management of in-country revenue sources and receivables.
- Oversee expatriate administration and logistics (visas, travel and housing benefits).
Qualification requirements :
- Bachelor degree in Business Administration, accounting major preferred. MBA or CPA a plus.
- Demonstrated ability in the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures.
- French and English language fluency. German language skills also usefull.
- Significant experience with the financial management, government and agency grants and contracts, experience with KFW, EU, US Government grants a plus.
- At least three years of experience managing a financial area for an international corporation or not profit organization.
- Willingness to travel to field sites
- Experience working in a developing country setting.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal, as well as strong analytical skills.
- Effective “roll up the sleeves” work ethic, with attention to detail.
- Proven managerial skill and ability to work in a team setting within an organization.
Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications, should apply by sending an application letter and CV together with the names and contact information of three references to the addresses below no later than December 31, 2017. Please include “Cameroon Finance Director” in the subject line of your email. Send to: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates must also apply online via the WCS career portal by searching job title at: http://www.wcs.org/about-us/careers . Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.