Views 596 Conservation Jobs Application Deadline: Monday, 15 January 2018
Located in southwestern Gabon, central Africa, the Fernan-Vaz Gorilla Project (FVGP) is a PASA-accredited Gabonese non-governmental western lowland gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla) rescue center for gorilla victims of the ongoing bushmeat trade in Gabon. The project’s mandate is to provide a secure future for gorillas rescued from the bushmeat trade and its mission is to help conserve great-apes and their habitat locally.
The project consists of a forested enclosure (termed the sanctuary) where adult gorillas are provided lifetime care since they cannot be reintroduced back into their natural environment. The project consists also of a rehabilitation center where younger orphaned gorillas are managed separately in order to maintain their reintroduction potential.
As part of its newly updated objectives, the FVGP wishes to develop additional programs that will complement its current conservation action locally.
1-Assist the local assistant manager in his daily tasks
2-Help train local staff on the ongoing care of gorillas
Gorilla care supervision
3- Supervise the daily care of all gorillas
4- Assist in the implementation and management of new programs (e.g. education, community support, tourism)
QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
1. At least 30 years-old;
2. At least 6 months of hands-on experience with great-apes (gorilla experience preferred);
3. At least 6 months of experience managing local staff in a developing country;
4. French-speaking a must (fluency in English an asset);
5. Bachelor?s degree (a minimum requirement);
6. Proven communication and leadership skills;
7. Ability willingness to live in isolation in a remote area.
- Monthly stipend: based on qualifications and experience
- Cost of visa
- One yearly return-airfare
- Food, basic accommodation and transportation (in-country)
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
A one-year contract with an initial 3-month probation period.
Start Date: Feb 1, 2018.
By e-mail, please send a CV, letter of motivation with contact details for three references to Nicholas Bachand (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)