Views 3404 Conservation Jobs Application Deadline: Friday, 29 April 2016
SANCCOB, a leading marine conservation non-profit organization, seeks to employ a Marine Ranger to join their dynamic team. The incumbent will be responsible for maintaining a high quality service to SANCCOB, CapeNature and the Overstrand Municipality by upholding their conservation mandate. The position will be based at Stony Point in Betty’s Bay.
Purpose of the position:
- Carry out conservation related duties at Stony Point and surrounds that will contribute to the overall protection of the Endangered African penguin as well as to the conservation of other animals, plants and the environment for the benefit of all South Africans.
- Assist Cape Nature in managing the African penguin Colony both inside and outside Stony Point. Duties include monitoring, data collection, penguin protection, penguin sweeps, penguin relocation, rescuing injured, oiled or at risk penguins and other birds.
- General maintenance of penguin proof barriers, infrastructure, equipment and the environment.
- Provide education to the visitors in association with CapeNature and the Overstrand Municipality.
Key performance areas:
- Maintain territorial integrity and assist with reporting of transgressions of the law to the relevant authorities.
- Patrols of the environment
- Penguin research, monitoring and relocation
- General maintenance of infrastructure and equipment
- General administration and penguin database management
- Education of visitors to Stony Point.
- Community outreach
- Assisting with events
- Minimum 2 years working experience in the environmental or conservation field.
- Able to work under inclement weather conditions.
- Passion for seabirds and marine conservation, with a mission-driven work ethic and a positive attitude.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Presentation and negotiation skills.
- A strong command of English and a written and spoken capability in at least one other official South African language is preferred.
- Valid Code 8 drivers licence.
Please send your CV (max 3 pages) with contactable referees and a letter of motivation for attention: the Business Manager to email@example.com
Deadline for applications: 29 April 2016
Management will not accept telephonic applications and will only correspond with applicants chosen for interviews.