Views 1193 Conservation Jobs Application Deadline: Thursday, 10 November 2016
In this position, the vet will support conservation research activities for the LWT and its partners, including but not limited to: collar placement/removal; assistance with translocations and releases; response to human-wildlife conflict situations. This position will also provide veterinary assistance as needed at the Lilongwe Wildlife Centre veterinary clinic. This position requires that the vet spend significant time in the field, sometimes under primitive camping situations.
There may be periods of downtime in the field where the vet would have the opportunity to work on their own project.
Estimated time requirement: 75% - Conservation Research activities 25% - Assisting with cases at the LWC veterinary clinic and the Wildlife Emergency Response Unit
- Fully qualified veterinarian 2+ years clinical experience, wildlife/exotic experience a plus Primary case management experience
- Attended a capture course for African wildlife OR significant experience with darting in a zoological setting
- Wildlife capture experience, especially large carnivores
- Experience with Dan-Inject capture systems
- Ability to safely and confidently manage a capture setting with multiple people in attendance (researchers, students, volunteers, scouts, etc)
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment Creative with the ability to think fast on your feet
- Ability to stay organized and focused under busy field conditions
- Physically fit with the ability to endure discomfort (heat/cold/bugs)
- Driving license with the ability to drive manual and 4x4 Experience living and working in Africa a plus
- Experience living and working in basic field camping conditions
This position will be based in Lilongwe but the majority of the vet’s time will be spent in the field.
Benefits: Housing and basic food provided, along with a local stipend Flight costs may be reimbursed, depending on the length of time committed
To apply, please send an email with a single attachment labeled with your first and last name only (“first last.pdf”) in PDF format containing (a) cover letter, (b) CV, and (c) contact details for two references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.
Application deadline: 10 November 2016.