Views 6056 Internships Application Deadline: Wednesday, 15 July 2015
Ever thought about living in a Wildlife Reserve in Africa? Have a history in the tourism industry and looking for a career break? This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for someone to apply your hospitality skills and leave your mark on a worthy eco-tourism project.
The ideal candidate will be outgoing, organized, hardworking, flexible, great with detail, and happy to get their hands dirty...we don't ask for much!
As a full time member of our tourism team, you will work hand-in-hand with our local staff. We need your international ideals, ideas and tourism experience in the team, making improvements to our service and facilities. Training and communication are crucial to this position in order to support our existing local management structure and to ensure its long-term sustainability. This will include training in organisation and skills, establishing systems and making sure that our tourism standards are maintained and developed. You would also be working with our marketing intern on events, involving our volunteers in tourism related tasks and generally assisting with projects here at the reserve.
This is a full time role requiring serious commitment but we work hard and play hard and there will be plenty of time to explore the country, go on safari and spend days off at the lake, just 30 minutes away. If this appeals to you then please read below for more on the project and how to apply.
ABOUT KUTI WILDLIFE RESERVE
Kuti Wildlife Reserve is a stunning 2000 hectare reserve located close to Salima, just an hour and a half from Malawi’s capital city Lilongwe, and 30 minutes from Lake Malawi!
Set up as a wildlife reserve in 2005, Kuti aims to protect the habitats and wildlife within the reserve, whist benefiting the communities that surround it. Dedicated to supporting the local villages and educating on matters of sustainable living we hope to change perceptions towards wildlife and conservation. As a not-for-profit organisation all the revenue generated through our eco-tourism goes back into the project and helps to fund our community project work. Without tourism, our project cannot continue.
WHAT WILL THE ROLE ENTAIL ?
You will report to the head of tourism, and also the General Manager, focusing on quality control and the development of our tourism department. Your responsibilities will include:
- Working alongside our local staff in a training capacity, making recommendations and maintaining service quality.
· Maintaining a diary of all visitor bookings and working alongside the marketing intern to optimise our business.
- To receive visitors, provide information about the reserve, facilities and activities, sell food and drinks and provide excellent customer care.
- Ensure cleanliness of communal tourism areas including the restaurant and campsite facilities, as well as our accommodation options.
- To check stock, maintain effective sales records and to submit all takings from this to the office.
- Ensure that there is a supply of provisions, merchandise, bar stock and restaurant food.
- To assist with organising weekly work schedules for the team to optimise our service.
- Ensure that all stock/equipment/maintenance issues are reported immediately and make suggestions for any facility developments.
- To be flexible and work in the area of Tourism where you are most needed at any given time e.g. assisting with cooking, serving, cleaning etc.
· Managing volunteers on tourism tasks/events/any of the above topics.
WHO IS THE PERFECT CANDIDATE?
In addition to the skills listed above, you will need at least 1 years’ experience in the tourism industry. Attention to detail, excellent customer service and good social skills are important due to the nature of this role. We are looking for someone who can work with our local staff, maintaining quality standards whilst respecting cultural differences. If you think this is you, please read on…
WHATS THE DEAL?
We're looking to fill the role as soon as possible and you will need to commit to the role for 6 months, working a 6 day working week with a long weekend off every month. Your accommodation will be provided inside the reserve, amongst management and other staff houses. You will be living in a local-style volunteer house, with solar lighting and private facilities. You have your own local style kitchen, cooking on fire stoves, or you may join our volunteers with chef-cooked meals twice a day, costing just $17 per week! We will collect you from the airport and arrange for transfers to Kuti but all other expenses including flights, visas and insurance are your responsibility.
HOW TO APPLY?
Send your CV and covering letter to Gen – email@example.com. The deadline for applications is 1st July 2015, please submit earlier if possible.