Views 2971 Volunteer Opportunities Application Deadline: Friday, 14 April 2017
The Lilongwe Wildlife Centre work under the umbrella of the Lilongwe Wildlife Trust and is Malawi’s only wildlife rehabilitation Centre. The Centre is being accredited for their high organizational and animal welfare standards by GFAS, PASA and the Born Free Foundation. The Centre rescues and rehabilitates all kind of Malawian wildlife in distress, of which many come from illegal trade.
We currently house around 200 wild residents including baboons, vervet monkeys, antelopes, reptiles, birds, lion and serval cat with new animals coming in every week. The Centre runs several active release programs, returning many rescued animals back to the wild wherever suitable and appropriate in line with the set standards by the IUCN. For more information about our work please visit our website: www.lilongwewildlife.org.
To assist the rehabilitation department the Centre is currently looking for a temporary extra rehabilitation assistant.
In this challenging position you work under the supervision and guidance of the Rescue and Rehabilitation Manager (RRM). Your main responsibilities is to help oversee the daily rehabilitation processes. You assist during integration (re-socialization) processes, collect records and write reports. In general there are multiple integrations ongoing which mainly involves the re-socialization of primates. It is your responsibility to keep oversight of all integrations and report on a daily basis to the RRM. Wherever required and appropriate you help out with other rehabilitation tasks like intake and animal stabilization and orphan care.
Qualifications and experience:
- You have a degree in biology/ zoology or any relevant related field
- You have good understanding of animal behavior and proven experience in observing primates and data collection
- Besides theoretical knowledge, you also have extensive practical experience in working with and rehabilitating captive animals
- You are flexible, open minded and like new challenges
- You have good communication skills and enjoy working in a team
- You enjoy working with volunteers and are able to involve them in your day-to-day work
- You are highly motivated, can work independent and willing to work extra hours in a day if required
- You are physically fit and are able to withstand the elements (there will be times you will be standing in the sun or rain for hours)
Terms of position: This is a temporary and voluntary position for a term one year. We will provide on-site housing and 3 meals a day. All other costs including visa, flight and necessary vaccinations etc. are for own expense.
Application Deadline: 14st April 2017 - We are looking for a rehabilitation assistant who can start as soon as possible
Application procedure: Please send your CV and a cover letter by e-mail to Miss A.M. van Dorenmalen, Rescue & Rehabilitation Manager of the Lilongwe Wildlife Centre. E-mail: email@example.com. Please mention within your letter when you will be available to fill this position.